As I was surfing the web this evening I stumbled across this article indicating 7 core mistakes people make when beginning the weight loss process and found it to be a pretty good read.
A quick recap:
1) overcutting calories – taking the body too low puts it in starvation mode and slows the metabolism. frustration with insufficient loss sends the person back to their old habits, only this time with an even slower metabolism. so when the pounds come back, they bring friends. NO BUENO!
2) lack of exercise – physical exercise helps take the edge off those bad eating days and helps develop that lean muscle which keeps the metabolism furnace going. all too often people think they need to start out with some big workout plan, getting just 5-10 minutes in each day can be a great start though.
3) don’t eat breakfast – I would estimate that 15% of my customers on Visalus are using it as a quick and easy way to squeeze in those problem meals they always seem to skip, usually breakfast. breakfast gets your metabolism kick started for the day, a good dose of protein early does wonders.
4) don’t drink enough water – already covered the other day in this article, water is the cheapest way to help out your weight loss and fitness transformation. generally more is better.
5) improper goal setting – the author of the article actually had this labeled as unrealistic goals but that’s not entirely accurate, the problem really lies with not knowing how to accurately set goals. big goals are great, you have to dream big to achieve big, but your goals need to align with the actions you are willing to take to achieve them. a great example – when people want to lose 50+ pounds on their first 90-day challenge they need to be willing to do some exercise, start implementing some basic healthier habits, and use the transformation kit. if they don’t want to make the monetary sacrifice and only want to use the shape kit, they need to align their goals accordingly.
6) measuring body weight per day – staring at the scale is a big problem for a lot of people. the Body By Vi 90-Day Challenge is centered around establishing long term success through better habits, having daily fluctuations dictate your behavior contradicts that.
7) avoiding dairy products – good calcium has been shown to be very helpful to the weight loss and fitness process. people often cut back on these foods because they often are high in calories, fat and sugar. selecting the right products to go with your meals can be extremely helpful. and if you are on The Challenge – well you are probably getting PLENTY of calcium.
These are some of the core mistakes that people have made on past weight loss programs and many of them are behaviors I warn people against. The good news is that the Body By Vi 90-Day Challenge actively sidesteps many of these issues. Proper goal setting, consistent meals, dairy, calorie support and other nutritional advice, and exercise plans are all part of the program as a whole.
Check out this site for more information on how The Body By Vi 90-Day Challenge works and get started on your Challenge today!